I did not figure this out myself, and I thought we did not need it.
All my crews were working in the field, we were very busy and we were making money.
Then one day I stopped by the job sight at starting time and a couple guys came rolling in about ten minutes late.
Then next day I was there at lunch time and noticed as some of the guys were getting back to work, others were still shooting the “bull’ and finishing up their lunch.
They then walk back to their respective vehicles to check their phones and eventually start working.
Now I was wondering what happens at the end of the day. We end our days at 4:30 in the afternoon.
I stop by at 4:15 and all the guys are working except one who had to leave early for a personal matter.
By 4:30 all are gone home for the day except two who had about 20 minutes of additional work to do.
Do you know what happen the following week when I collected time sheets for the crew?
It was amazing:
- Everybody had worked 8-4:30 every day with a half hour lunch
- Nobody was late to work on any one day
- Lunch was timed to the minute, 30 minutes each
- The couple guys on that one day who worked 20 minutes at time and a half overtime, suddenly worked an additional ½ hour till 5:00 pm
Who’s fault is this? The crew leader? NO, it was my fault.
I would stop by every Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning and pick up the timecards.
Some for the guys would quickly fill one out and honestly I do not think they knew they were overestimating their time.
Some times they couldn’t even remember what job they were on the previous Tuesday as I move them around as needed.
How I saved $220.00 the First Week.
TSheets is time tracking software that is affordable, accurate and easy to use software to track time for each project and employee.
The first week when we implemented TSheets every minute worked was accounted for.
If an employee was five minutes late it was tracked. Long lunches tracked, appropriate overtime tracked, EVERYTHING is tracked with and by TSheets.
How it works:
- Employees download a free app on their smart phones
- We enter employees and projects into TSheets
- They log on and just click a project and log in and log out
- The employee can write notes each day on their timesheet
- At any one time I can see who is logged in and what project they are on.
- I can also see where they logged in and out from with GPS tracking
- Every minute is accounted for
- Weekly reports are sent to me on Sundays and past reports are easily accessible.
- $20.00 per month for the company
- $5.00 for each user per month
No more guessing for anyone when it comes to hours and time worked.
I never had the knowledge and time to try and find these great apps and software until I joined the DYB group, or really it feels like a movement.
I was always wondering how, and I always put this on the “To Do” list for another time.
Just one idea can save you hundreds of hours of hard work and frustration…
If you are looking to make the change you always wanted, decide now, and move your business in a positive profitable direction by joining the DYB Community for just $1