Are your goals to buy a bigger house or a new car? Maybe take your family on a great vacation? Do you want to Double Your Business? Be debt free?
The person we are now, is not capable of achieving our goals.
We can’t. Here’s why:
Yes, I dropped the “C” bomb, but bare with me.
We’re not great salespeople. We’re not great leaders. We’re not great entrepreneurs.
We can be. We just have to commit ourselves to growing beyond who we currently are.
And that’s painful.
Not only are we going to make lots of mistakes, but we’re going to feel like a fool 90% of the time and others around us are going to make sure we know that they know we screwed up. Those are the “crabs in a bucket” and there are crabs at each level.
We’re also going to have to work harder than we’ve ever worked in our life.
I hear people say they work hard, but they don’t know hard work.
First it starts with working harder on ourselves than we do on our business.
But before we even have a chance of doing that, we must first take complete responsibility for where we are.
It goes like this,
“I am where I am because of every decision I have made up to this point.”
Now, it might not be completely true, but it empowers us to make a change.
See, as long as we blame our situation on the government, our parents, or worse, a competitor, there is nothing we can do.
So, take complete ownership.
But here’s the thing:
Normal people run away from the pain. They think it’s unnatural. To them, every moment of their lives supposed to be a march toward comfort and tranquility.
High achievers, on the other hand, believe the opposite. They understand that, the more pain they can endure, the faster they grow.
Instead of worrying about mistakes, they embrace them.
Instead of worrying about looking stupid, they take other people calling them an idiot as a sign they are on the right track.
Instead of clocking out at 40-50 hours a week and pursuing a “balanced” life, they dedicate themselves –mind, body, and soul– to the work, typically working so hard they endanger their relationships and even their health.
“Work as if somebody else is working 24 hours to take your business from you” -Mark Cuban
The bottom line?
Building a six or seven-figure business has very little to do with tactics. Yes, it’s a factor, but if we’re struggling, it’s almost certainly because we need to develop ourselves.
And it never stops, by the way.
The person I had to be to start my first business back in Michigan back in 96’ is totally different from the person I had to be to start all over again in Florida in 05’. Which again is completely different from the person I had to be, to be able to sell it and then start a whole new business in a whole new space.
And so it goes to hit our next goals.
The questions is…
How much pain are you willing to endure?
Decide today to build and grow a new you, to get to the next level.
- Get up early and work 2 hours before everybody else and work on your most important project or task for the day. We call these Jam Sessions. Uninterrupted, focused, single-tasking, high level productivity. Once we complete a Jam Session, the whole day can unravel, come crashing down and we’ll still feel great, on top of the world, actually, because we have already confidence completed our most important task for the day.
- Schedule and commit to a weekly date night.
- Cancel your TV subscription. It’s nothing but a mental pacifier and, for heaven’s sake, stop watching the news. We did this about 7 years ago and, trust me, life is much better.
- Find a mentor, and when they give you advice, DO IT! Then report back to them how it went. Once that relationship gets going, find another mentor for another area of your life. You cannot have to many and no one mentor is the perfect for every area of you life.
- Read and/or listen to a book a week. But not just for the feeling the good ideas give you, but for the action task you can implement from them.
“You are the same person today as you will be tomorrow except for the books you read and the people you meet.”
~Charlie “Tremendous” Jones
P.S. It always helps to #KeepItCaffeinated