The Harvard Study

Back when I started my 2nd painting business I started reading and listening to books about goal setting.

And while they all made sense logically, it wasn’t until I read this Harvard Study from Brian Tracy’s Book “Goals” that finally convinced myself to start writing my goals, and it’s made a dramatic impact in my life so I’d like to share it with you also…

This Harvard Study was conducted between 1979 and 1989.

In 1979, the graduates of the MBA program at Harvard were asked,

“Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”

3% of the graduates had written goals and plans.
13% had goals, but they were not in writing.
84% had no specific goals at all, aside from graduating and enjoying the summer.

Ten years later, in 1989, the researchers interviewed the members of that class again.

They found that the 13% who had goals that were not in writing were earning on average, twice as much as the 84% who had no goals at all.

But most surprisingly, they found that the 3% who had clear, written goals when they left Harvard were earning, on average, 10 times as much as the other 97% of graduates.

The only difference was the clarity of the goals they had for themselves when they graduated.

To recap:

  • 3% of the graduates had written goals and plans. = 10X $
  • 13% had goals, but they were not in writing. = 2X $
  • 84% had no specific goals at all = avg $

Writing goals has changed my life and it can for you too 🙂


About the Author

As a newly single father of two from MI, he struggled to start over as a paint contractor in FL, going door to door. His situation was so bad, even the IRS had mercy on him.

 Feeling completely hopeless, he remembered the story of King Solomon praying for wisdom. Could it be so easy? 

He felt he had absolutely nothing to lose. So, as a bankrupt, divorced, high school dropout, single father of 2 young kids, now living 1250 miles away from all friends and family, started to pray for wisdom.
 And while he continues to wait for the wisdom to arrive, what did come was an insatiable desire to learn and read books… 
Thanks to God for giving him the burning passion to read books, and attend seminars, (oh and winning the wife lottery) he not only cracks the success code and overcomes the struggle, but also streamlines his painting business in less than 3 years, published a how to book, then sold the company. Now he leads a business coaching company for painting contractors so he can help other businesses, like yours, to do the same. Hear more... Or