Who started the whole, “Getting 3 estimates” thing anyway?
I used to get so discouraged when I thought I did such a great job establishing rapport, writing up a beautiful proposal, listening to all of their questions, and understanding their needs.
And just when I thought I was about to be awarded the job on the spot, I would hear those most dreaded words,
“Everything looks good Steve, but we have another guy coming to give us another estimate.”
…of course you do 🙂
Because that’s what you do. You get 3 estimates.
Determined to figure out a way to close on the spot, I presented this to my business coach at the time.
Business coaches have always been a big part of my growth. It is much cheaper hiring a business coach, than trying to figuring everything out on my own.
But he didn’t have an answer for me.
Still I was determined to crack this code.
And then I did!
Here is how the conversation pretty much went down every time, but first,
The DYB Sales Process must have been executed to a “T”.
- Prequalified them to make sure they were our target market before scheduling the estimate.
- Invited them to look over our website so they can get a good idea of the experience they will receive. ( The DYB Website Conversion Funnel is specifically designed to build in value, setting your company apart, so you are not competing so much on price. In fact, it will in many cases, pre-close jobs for you, before you even arrive to the estimate. )
- Parked my clean, professionally branded company vehicle on the street, within eyesight when opening the front door.
- Wore a branded button down or polo shirt with nice pants.
- Knocked at the exact time of the estimate. ( not 2 minutes before or after )
- Worn my name tag with the smily face
- Listened and asked lots of questions. ( did not go on and on about our company or process until they asked )
- Asked them when they were looking to have the painting done. ( their time frame )
- Asked the Great Experience Question.
- Presented the proposal on the spot.
Then, if I heard what used to be the dreaded words,
“Everything looks great, but we have another guy coming to give us an estimate.”
I would say,
“Ok. If I could prove that our team provides the best experience, would you be interested?”
Key word here is experience and this is big.
They already assume that we are going to properly prepare and paint the surfaces; what they are gambling on now is, what will their experience be during the process.
They always replied,
Then I would ask,
“Ok, would you agree that most people are not comfortable being video recorded?
They all agree!
Then I show them my iPad and say,
“Given that, we have well over 100 video testimonials because of the experience that our team provides consistently. Please look through them and watch as many as you would like. You may very well see somebody you know.”
“If we say it, it’s bragging. If others say it it’s proof.” Jeffery Gitomer
And then I would show them my basecamp calendar, because –like the video testimonials– seeing is believing.
And then I would say,
“I heard you say, you would like to have the painting done in the next couple of week. As you can see we currently only have 1 opening, 3 weeks from today, as of right now. Also, I have a couple more estimates yet today and more this week.”
Couple of big points here:
Always be honest. Never lie. I only shared this if it happened to be true, but I worked hard so that this was true.
Meaning, when we were awarded jobs and if they weren’t in a rush, I would ask them if 6-8 weeks out was agreeable with them, then schedule them out. This helped me to leave keep a couple of openings for the really nice jobs I wanted to close on the spot.
Then I would politely ask
“May we have the job, please?”
The Mrs. would look to her husband; he would give the approving nod, and she would say,
“Ok, let’s get on the schedule, how much is the deposit?”
Awarded on the spot!
Over and over again…
Follow these steps and you, too, can experience:
- far less “Looks good, but we have another company coming to give us another estimate.”
- and many, many jobs awarded on the spot!
If you would like to see how else we leverage Basecamp 2, to streamline our businesses, DYB Coach Jeff Sommers has an awesome video in our membership site, the DYB Café, that you can get for just $37 now. That’s less than a gallon of premium paint.
- Follow the DYB Sales Process to a “T”
- Show your video testimonials ( Social Proof )
- Then close it on the spot by showing your Basecamp 2 calendar with few openings ( Scarcity )
Here’s to “Doubling Your Business!”